COARSE FISHING.CO.NZ  

Go Back   COARSE FISHING.CO.NZ > MAIN FORUMS > Venues > Wellington
Portal Home Forum Home Register FAQ Memberlist VB Image Host Album Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2008, 07:34 AM
carpking

Carp in New Zealand ?

Hello out there fellow fisherman. Please can you help me? My wife and kids and I are planning to move out to New Zealand but I am a mad keen carp fisherman and am worried that there might not be a lot of carp out there.

Please let me know about the carp available, i.e. whereabouts and size and species. Do you have common, mirrors etc.

Would be grateful for any info as this information will depend on where about in New Zealand we move to!!!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:08 AM
NZSCA Member

Hi & welcome

Yes there are a lot of Carp to be had ,most of the Carp are to be found around Auckland & the Waikato areas.
We have Koi carp Only & Grass carp.
Yes there is some big carp but you will have to find them.
There are also Tench,very big Eels,Goldfish,Rudd,Perch,small catfish & Koi & Goldfish hybrids.
Check the venue & album parts on this web site & that will give you some info on places to fish & size of fish that have been caught.

I am sure you we get some more info off the others on here.

Hope this helps a bit.

Steve

Last edited by nzcoknee; 02-12-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

where are you planning to live?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:31 PM
NZSCA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpking View Post
Hello out there fellow fisherman. Please can you help me? My wife and kids and I are planning to move out to New Zealand but I am a mad keen carp fisherman and am worried that there might not be a lot of carp out there.

Please let me know about the carp available, i.e. whereabouts and size and species. Do you have common, mirrors etc.

Would be grateful for any info as this information will depend on where about in New Zealand we move to!!!
Hi Carpking

Firstly welcome to the site and good luck with your move if you take the plunge, if you need any info on anything regarding NZ fishing or otherwise please feel free to drop me a pm or email! ( Even if the wife wants to know about shops :-? and kids are worried about getting the latest playstation games )

Here is the current list of coarse records for NZ to give you some idea of both what species we have and what sizes have been caught in the past ( I will come back to what is available)

Tench 8lb 3oz 8dr (2001)
Perch 4lb 7oz (1995)
Rudd 3lb 1oz (1986)
Goldfish 3lb 10oz (199
Catfish 2lb 13oz (1996)
Koi Carp 25lb 8oz (1997)
Grass Carp 8lb 14oz (199
Eel 6lb 5oz (1990)

Ok so there you have it the “complete” list of coarse fish we have in NZ as you can see many of the records are over 10 years old.

As for carp we have Koi and Grass Carp (koi being the same as a common only “fluorescent”), we know of fish much larger than the current record and I know several have actual been caught on rod on line which would now hold the record if claimed, grassies in particular. Some can even be seen on this site!

We do have some large fish often caught by nets or bow hunters :-( which have gone over the 50lbs mark. These are often taken on one of the large (10,000 acres plus peat lakes we have in the region)

Numbers, well in the Auckland / Waikato region (basically between Auckland and Hamilton) there are literally carp in every bit of water you can find, they are officially a pest and legally should be killed when caught (I wont get into that you can find all the arguments on this site)

To be fair we probably have too many for some of the waters to produce real lumps but its fun catching endless small ones… So don’t worry there are plenty of carp to be had but pretty localised to the region above. Another reason for the lack of lumps on the bank will be the lack of dedicated carp angling that goes on, its starting to grow but you can often fish for months without bumping into another angler!!!

So Auckland or Hamilton would be my first choice if purely based on carp fishing, but I suppose work has to be considered as well……..That’s why I'm here LOL

Anyway hope that answers your question and again anything else you think of just ask….only too happy to help (as long as your not another LFC fan (only joking Scouse!!!))

Tightlines

Kiwicarper

Kiwi Coarse Tackle at
http://kiwicoarsetackle.com/

You can send me a PM on here or email at kiwicoarsetackle@hotmail.co.nz

Hoping your next fishing trip is better than your last

Tightlines ALL