COARSE FISHING.CO.NZ  

Go Back   COARSE FISHING.CO.NZ > MAIN FORUMS > NZ Coarse Fish Species
Portal Home Forum Home Register FAQ Memberlist VB Image Host Album Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Commons in Lake Ellesmere

I was reading a report on macrophytes in Lake Ellesmere and started wondering if Common carp are still in there.

the report says that the diet of eels consists of 30% small eels 27% snails and 33% midge larvae. that diet would sustain carp if they are there, apart of the eels. the report briefly mentions coarse fish such as tench, goldfish,catfish and carp in the lake, and saying they will not be a big threat to the macrophytes in the lake.

obviously after the wahini storm came though, most macrophytes dissapeared, but that makes me wonder if they moved to another area with macrophyte beds (It is a large lake afterall) i could imagine how a section of a shallow lake could be completely changed after a large storm.

other species in the lake such as trout are apparently growing rapidly and are in good condition, over 100 tonnes of flounder are caught per year, same with the eels so it seems most fish are thriving in there.

If anybody has info, id like to hear it.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:46 PM
NZSCA MEMBER

koi are comons...commons are koi.....
who said there are comons in there???

Kiwi Coarse Tackle at
http://kiwicoarsetackle.com/

You can send me a PM on here or email at kiwicoarsetackle@hotmail.co.nz

Hoping your next fishing trip is better than your last

Tightlines ALL
Old 03-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker14 View Post
I was reading a report on macrophytes in Lake Ellesmere and started wondering if Common carp are still in there.

the report says that the diet of eels consists of 30% small eels 27% snails and 33% midge larvae. that diet would sustain carp if they are there, apart of the eels. the report briefly mentions coarse fish such as tench, goldfish,catfish and carp in the lake, and saying they will not be a big threat to the macrophytes in the lake.

obviously after the wahini storm came though, most macrophytes dissapeared, but that makes me wonder if they moved to another area with macrophyte beds (It is a large lake afterall) i could imagine how a section of a shallow lake could be completely changed after a large storm.

other species in the lake such as trout are apparently growing rapidly and are in good condition, over 100 tonnes of flounder are caught per year, same with the eels so it seems most fish are thriving in there.

If anybody has info, id like to hear it.
Can you point me in the direction of the report?? I've heard reports of "Koi" in Ellesmere from farmers around Southbridge but the only fish I've seen that could be koi are the big goldfish that come out of the lake into Harts Creek, the Halswell, L2 and the Irwell when the lake temperatures rise. Don't get carried away with the idea that the trout population in Ellesmere is healthy. It isn't. The trout are most definitely sea-runs that put on weight and condition by eating smelt, whitebait and krill before they enter the lake. The trout enter the lake when the outlet to the sea is opened by the Regional Council and run up the rivers chasing the smelt and whitebait.

The only reports I've read about the eel fishery there is that it's collapsing dramatically. The eel processing plant that was out at Timberyard Rd has been closed for a few years, and none of the commercial eel guys I've talked to say that they have ever had any carp-like fish in their nets that wasn't a goldfish. A few of us have fished Ellesmere over the last 20 or so years to try and confirm that there are actually carp living there but at this stage it looks like there is more chance of finding a moose in Fiordland.

If you want to try for something a bit less mythical, may I suggest you have a go in Lake Hood for the grass carp that were stocked there when the lake was constructed. They are now extremely big fish, but difficult to fish for in the main lake and impossible to fish for around the canals & housing subdivision.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:38 PM

The report said the population is bad because of gill nets, just that they are healthy

http://ecan.govt.nz/publications/rep...te-waihora.pdf

thats the report..

i wouldnt be surprised if they were just goldfish that the farmer saw.
When you attempted fishing for them, did you fish near weed beds?
im guessing if there are hybrids it might show some sign they are about

Last edited by poker14; 03-04-2014 at 03:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicarper View Post
koi are comons...commons are koi.....
who said there are comons in there???
im not saying they are in there (still) but i have heard many people say that they used to even my father.. who isnt a coarse fishermen said they were. He lived around the selwyn district when he was young.

koi arent commons, but they are both european carp... i know what you mean
Old 03-04-2014, 04:06 PM
NZSCA MEMBER

Koi are selectively bred domesticated common carp....nothing more nothing less....

Kiwi Coarse Tackle at

Tightlines ALL
Old 03-04-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwicarper View Post
Koi are selectively bred domesticated common carp....nothing more nothing less....
If they were domesticated surely you would have had a 30 pounder by now KC?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM
NZSCA MEMBER

LOL yeah you would think so...guess the ones here are turning feral again... or its all those bloody tame small ones getting in the way.....

On another note did read a post on another site about koi and how they are now "natural" surface feeders...just like Rudd due to the fact they all derive from pond hand fed stock....kind of makes sense but have never found many places here in NZ where koi (commons) feed freely on the roof...but maybe mid water above their heads....???? Maybe not but do see the thinking behind the theory....

Kiwi Coarse Tackle at

Tightlines ALL

Last edited by kiwicarper; 03-04-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 PM

I dont know have you tried it yet? They do say that they spend a lot of time in mid water.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 PM
NZSCA MEMBER

Nope but thinking about a session or 3 on a stillwater soon so maybe time to get "ziggy" with it

Kiwi Coarse Tackle at

Tightlines ALL